Thursday, June 14, 2012

Decisions, Decisions


I am in the process of moving to a new school. That being said, I’ve had to find a new site mentor, examine my new campus’ vision, and really discuss what the areas of concern are at my new campus. I have been emailing quite a bit with my new site mentor about my action research and possible topics for this project. Initially, I spoke to her about one of my ideas for research, and she gave me two additional topics to consider. These initial ideas were:
  1. Including a “tutorial” time within the school day and how scheduling could be changed to incorporate this.
  2. Look at literacy and impact on science scores
  3. Effectiveness of reading courses on all academics
When talking further, she said “Literacy and writing are some campus wide goals that we are focusing on so that might be an option for you. We are going to implement a campus wide vocabulary program and increase our focus on writing across all curriculum areas. You could always look at how a focus on literacy impacts performance in non ELA courses.” 

So, the final thing we agreed upon as a topic is: “How does a focus on literacy impact performance in non ELA courses?”.

I think this will be a great adventure, it seems like an interesting topic, and they have already got the ball rolling on incorporating new practices. I am hoping this opens the door to the process of gathering data for my action research plan! Maybe things will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment